RESIDENTS of the BURLESON ISD, Texas:
The Burleson Independent School District [BISD] proposed a TAX INCREASE [$0.13 per $100 valuation; i.e., or about another $130 MORE per year for homes valued at $100K]. This increase was rejected by the voters on October 16. Please review the material facts in the attachments, which is the basis for the complaint that TPTP has filed with the Texas Ethics Commission against BISD.
If you google on BISD TRE Election will also find a mirrored site that presents the slideshow about the tax increase. It is posted below for your convenience.
Advertisement in Oct 2010 Burleson Now PAID for by BISD
BISD Brochure from BISD Website [TRE_Brochure_8]
Aside from the fiduciary mismanagement of the BISD, there are some possible ethics violations as well:
When a school district calls for a TRE election, the law is very clear about what they can and cannot do.
• They can not advocate for the outcome [They have]
• They can not make emotional appeals to voters [They have]
• They can not knowingly publish false or misleading information that would
unduly influence voters to support a particular position. [They have]
• They can not threaten or coerce employees to vote in a particular way [They have]
Our TPTP believes that the Burleson ISD has done ALL of the above and is in violation of state laws, rules and regulations.
Check out our discussions on these issues:
Commentary on BISD TRE Election 3 TPTP 101007
If this is not the kind of representation you want on your BISD, then this is your chance to get involved in a LOCAL protest.
What can you do?
1) As RESIDENTS of the Burleson ISD…..VOTE NO if the tax increase is presented to the voters again.
2) If you are angry about the possible mismanagement and unethical behavior of the BISD… File a sworn complaint with the Texas Ethics Commission. You can print out a form from their website or here: Sworn Complaint Form. Write your complaint. Sign it and have it notorized and send it to the Commission.
3) Please attend the BISD School Board meetings. It is our duty to stay abreast of the actions of the board, and to also help them in constructive ways to make the most efficient use of our tax dollars, to undertake the monumental task of educating our children.
On February 28, 2011, Richard Crummel, Superintendent of Burleson Schools wrote a letter to citizens, parents and staff of BISD discussing the TRE election and BISD budget. SEE: Ltr from BISD Superintendent